On May 3, 2023 everyone 18 years of age and older must have a driver’s license that meets new federal security requirements or other acceptable forms of identification (listed on this TSA site) to board a flight. Known as REAL ID, this new requirement is aimed at improving the safety of air travel and the security of driver’s licenses in all 50 states.
To get a REAL ID driver’s license, Americans must go to their state motor vehicle agency. Typically, they need to show proof of their social security number, date of birth, and U.S. citizenship, along with two different documents verifying their state of residency. But they should check with their respective driving agency in advance to ensure they take the proper documents with them to acquire the license.
Recommended talking points and supportive information:
- Travelers unsure of whether they have a REAL ID compliant license should check to see whether there is a star in the upper portion of their card.
- Typically, it is a gold or black star, a star cutout in a gold or black circle or a star cutout in a gold grizzly bear.
- This TSA site contains samples of the REAL ID license and the email, telephone and social media channels to use for requesting more information.
- If they don’t have a REAL ID compliant license, we recommend our customers obtain one as soon as possible.
- Beginning October 1, 2021 travelers will be required to show a REAL ID driver’s license or other approved documents to pass through airline security checkpoints.
- Travelers can obtain one by going to their respective state driver’s license agency. They need to contact the driving agency in advance to ensure they take the proper documents with them to acquire the new starred license.
- Travelers without a REAL ID can use a passport, a passport card or other form of acceptable government identification in order to board flights beginning next October.
- Examples of some government-issued identification that are acceptable for domestic air travel after October 1, 2021 are found here on tsa.gov